This post is in collaboration with Woolworths
Hot cross buns are one of the highlights of Easter (along with all the chocolate of course!) but there’s more than one way to eat a hot cross bun! These days there are so many yummy varieties available but my favourite is the brioche style ones from Woolworths.
But you don’t just have to eat them hot, with butter- you can turn your hot cross buns into an entire meal! This recipe is perfect for any leftover hot cross buns that may be losing their freshness.
French Toast Hot Cross Bun Sliders (with Sausage, Fried Egg and Garlic Aioli)
- 1 pack Woolworths brioche style hot cross buns 6 nos.
- 6 large beef sausages
- 6 eggs
- Salt to season
- Freshly milled black pepper to season
- leaves A handful of mixed salad
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic Aioli
- French toast batter
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 eggs
- pinch Aof salt
- Note - No sugar or spices are added to the French toast batter as the hot cross buns already have that.
- Remove the casing of the sausages and shape each sausage into a patty, approximately the size of the hot cross bun.
- Spray oil on a grill pan and cook the sausage patties on both sides till done. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan,and fry the eggs in batches (fry only on one side to ensure that the yolk stays runny). Season with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- To prepare the French toast batter, whisk milk into the flour in a bowl and then add the eggs one at a time. Add salt and whisk well to ensure a smooth uniform consistency.
- Heat the same pan that the eggs were fried in (add more oil only if necessary). Slice the buns in half and dunk each piece in the batter to coat well and then place in the pan. Toast well on one side before turning over. Remove when toasted well on both sides.
- To assemble, smear the garlic aioli on one side of the toasted bun. Place a few salad leaves and the sausage patty on top. Place the fried egg on top of the patty and drizzle more aioli.
- Enjoy with family and friends.