These home made LCM bars are so much more affordable than the shop bought ones. You only need three ingredients and they make a huge batch. The total cost is about $10 for 36 bars, compared to around $7.50 for 12 bars in the supermarkets.Jump to Recipe
LCM bars (otherwise known as rice crispy treats) are the perfect lunch box and after school treats. They travel well and they are so easy to make. It just takes 10 minutes to make a batch.
All you need for your home made LCM bars are three main ingredients, plus anything you'd like to put on top.
Put the marshmallows and the butter in a heatproof bowl. I use a glass one because it's easy to clean when it's sticky!
Melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring thoroughly each time. I only need to microwave mine for 60 seconds all up, but it depends on your microwave.
Stir your rice bubbles into the mixture and mix until fully combined.
Push firmly into a large, lined baking tray (or two smaller trays) and sprinkle with anything you like on top.
For the ones I've photographed here I've used some left over Christmas M&Ms and 100s & 1000s.
Other toppings could include:
You can add food colouring to change the colours and I'm also going to try it with cocoa pops for a chocolate flavour. The other great thing about this recipe is it makes fun seasonal treats as well. Check out my cute LCM Christmas trees!
Home Made LCM bars
- 250 g marshmallows
- 125 g Butter
- 270 g Rice Bubbles
- Line your baking tin with cling wrap or baking paper
- Melt the marshmallows and butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. (Mine only took 1 minute in my microwave but it depends on each one). If you don't have a microwave you can do this in a small saucepan on medium heat, stirring continuously.
- After you have melted the marshmallow and butter mixture, stir in the rice bubbles. Once they are fully combined, press into the tin, making sure you get right to the edges. Make it as flat and smooth as possible.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, then remove from the tin and slice into bars.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.