This week it’s time to declutter our TOYS!!! Hands up who had two stuffed animals that have now multiplied into about 50! At last count my 13 year old daughter had over 200 STUFFED ANIMALS- 200!!!!! Oh how I hate them. It seems my 2 year old has inherited the same predilection for these furry friends- having amassed quite the collection of her own in the last year.
Add to this the endless collection of Fisher Price Little People, zoos, garages, cars, crayon, texts, colouring books, trains and endless bits and pieces that seem to turn up and you have one hell of a toy mess. We don’t have a lot of space to keep them either so it looks cluttered and messy very easily.
So here are my 5 tips to decluttering your toys:
1. Pull EVERYTHING out- You need to know what you are starting with. So do a stocktake on everything you have.
2. Start sorting- what toys have your kids outgrown? Are you putting them aside because you are planning more children or can you get rid of them? Dig out all the toys with pieces. Are all the pieces there or do you have puzzles with half the pieces missing? If so it’s time to cull!
3. Sort the toys you are getting rid of. What can be sold and what is broken and needs to be thrown away?
4. Organise the toys that can be sold. Make sure they have all their pieces and give them a good clean to make them appealing for buyers.
5. Reorganise the remaining toys- invest in some storing containers that can help you organise your toys. A great way to do it is to have rotating containers of toys to bring out so the kids don’t get bored. This reduces the clutter in your living area and means the kids get excited over seeing toys they haven’t played with in a while.
Well, now you should have a lovely, organised, easy to use toy space that your kids will love to play in!
Next week, for our final declutter, Lynsey will be showing you how to clean up your surfaces!
Don’t forget you can join us with our decluttering and get in on the acton through instagram and Facebook, using #locldeclutter and you could win a $200 Howards Storage World Voucher!*
Download Locl here
*This competition is open to Australia residents over 18 only. The winner will be chosen through a random draw using Permit No ACT TP 14/00628 NSW LTPM/14/00108 each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the sponsor. The sponsor will be responsible for providing the prize.