Rainbow cupcakes are a favourite in our house (in fact Tully wants to colour everything we bake rainbow- from the pancakes to the Yorkshire puddings!). They are great for parties or even just for fun!
We often bake on a Sunday and create a variety of things but this easy rainbow cupcake recipe is one of our favourites. They are nothing fancy and you usually have all the ingredients in your cupboard, which makes it easy when the kids ask to bake at the last minute. They only take 15 minutes to cook so they are fast and fun.
Rainbow Cupcakes are perfect for your party!
Are you planning a unicorn party or a rainbow party? I used this rainbow cupcake recipe for Tully's rainbow unicorn party and also her Trolls party. It's seriously the easiest one you'll ever make.
Get the kids involved
Make sure you get the kids involved too. Tully loves beating the butter and sugar and cracking the eggs is a major highlight. I often use baking to teach simple maths skills like measuring and weighing. It's so much easier to learn when you are actually doing it. I also find that baking teaches patience. As much as she wants to eat those rainbow cupcakes she has to wait until they are cooked and cooled (although she does just hover over them the whole time).
Rainbow Cupcake Recipe
- 125 g butter
- ⅔ cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups self raising flour
- ¼ cup milk if mixture is too thick add more milk
- food colouring as many colours as you want (I use 6)
- 125 g butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbs milk add more milk if needed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Line a tray of 12 cupcakes
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat again
- Add flour and milk and mix gently
- Add more milk if needed
- Divide batter into bowls to colour (I use 6 colours)
- Add one teaspoon of each colour into each cupcake case. Dont worry about smoothing them out.
- Once they are full, bang the tray on the bench a few times to remove their air and put them in the oven to bake.
- Remove them when they are ready and let them cool
- Beat the sugar until white (3-5 minutes)
- Add icing sugar and beat til combined
- Add milk until you reach desired consistancy.
- Add colour if you want. I normally leave it white.
- Ice cupcakes once they are cold. I decorate them with a freckle.